I have got SO much burbling around in my head at the moment that I want to write about. Some stuff I’m really passionate about that I want to devote proper some time to write about, like a post on food demonising and policing. Other things I’m not sure I have the spoons to take up just now, such as rape apologism. Plus a couple of subjects that I’m still processing before I put my words down anywhere, like weight loss evangelism and smugness.
And I will. I’m recovering from a major work project that came to a head this week (we opened a beautiful, beautiful new library, I might blog about that too) and am really looking forward to a long weekend where I can spend some time writing.
But tonight, I might just share some thoughts. Some little tidbits tumbling around my mind.
- My Grandma really is awesome. I was listening to the Two Whole Cakes fatcast this afternoon and Marianne and Lesley were talking about how there is often a generational gap when it comes to body issues and Marianne mentioned that she could never convince her Grandmother of the value of Fat Acceptance. Made me realise just how rare my Grandma is for her generation. I have broached a lot of FA topics with her, and she has always surprised me by totally getting it. I’m so lucky that she supports me in this stuff.
- Mean girls often don’t grow out of their bullshit. They just go on to be mean women. They’re happy to bully and be cruel rather than have an intelligent argument. There is no point in engaging with them, it gives them more attention than they deserve.
- Having cute, fashionable clothing as a fat woman is really powerful.
- Being under stress is no excuse to behave like an arsehole. Getting cranky or snippy under pressure is one thing, but just being an arsehole and expecting people to wear it because you’re stressed is a shitty thing to do.
- I don’t “aim” for any level of person in relationships, either romantic or platonic. Either people are lovely and I like them, or I’m not interested. If I’m inviting them into my life, it’s because I feel they are special. Not because there is any other agenda for inviting them into my life.
- Life is too short to live without cheese.
- Some people really can’t cope with the word “fat”. They flinch like you’ve flicked water in their face. The problem is theirs, not yours.
- A cold Christmas is infinitely more pleasant than a hot one.
- That taxi driver you were just rude to? They just might be more educated than you are.
- Someone can be BOTH a free speech revolutionary AND a rapist. The two don’t necessarily cancel each other out.
- Every accusation of rape should be properly investigated.
- No matter how well immersed I get in Fat Acceptance and positive body image, I still have to fight every day with disordered thinking about food, exercise and my body. But the difference is now I have the tools to win that fight.
So… those are the things that are on my mind at the moment.
What about you? What’s on your mind at the moment? Open thread in the comments below!