So this post went around Tumblr through the week. The original poster has since deleted the offending post, but like an elephant, the internet never forgets. It’s basically some young guy saying that all fat people should stay at home so that he doesn’t have to see them while he’s trying to pick up women.
The sad thing is that he’s not alone in his douchebag attitude. There are plenty of them around. People who think that fat people should stay at home, not be seen anywhere in public (or in the media, unless we have our heads cut off and are being shamed) and should never do or be anything positive. The very people who suggest that anything that isn’t actively shaming fatness is “promoting obesity”. You know those folks, we’ve all encountered them.
But I have a proposal for you all.
Let’s be all obese at them. Let’s flaunt our fat selves. Now each of us do that is up to each of us individually. For me, it’s about living my life to the fullest and refusing to wear the shame that people try to hand us as fat people. Here are some suggestions, some of which I do, some of which I admire others doing.
- Go sleeveless. Let the world see those fat arms, get a little sun and fresh air on them, and feel cool on a hot day.
- Spend time with your friends (and if you have fat friends, form a posse of fat flaunters!) having fun in public. Laugh. Talk. Party.
- Take up a sport or some other physical activity that you enjoy. Have fun doing it. Practice getting really good at it.
- Be unashamedly affectionate with your loved ones. Hug your friends, kiss your lovers, hold hands, put your arm around someone.
- Go out to a nightclub, dance your arse off.
- Wear something that makes you feel fabulous.
- Get up on stage if you want to. Sing, act, dance, perform.
- Flirt. But only with people who deserve your time and attention.
- Go to sporting events and holler until you’re hoarse.
- Eat ice-cream in public. Or a burger. Chips. Brownie. Something tasty that is deemed “bad”. Enjoy it. Give anyone who throws judgement at you the finger.
- Wear body-hugging clothes. Spandex, Lycra, Elastane etc. Rock the shit out of them.
- Dye your hair your favourite colour.
- Get your belly button pierced.
- Buy a swimsuit, a bikini if you want, and wear it at the beach or the pool.
- Go on a date with a lovely person.
- Ride a bike. Or a horse. Or a motorcycle. Or a camel if you prefer.
- Go shopping (but remember – if you can’t find clothes to fit you, that’s not because of your body, but because manufacturers and retailers are slack and are not catering to you.)
- Go to your school reunion. Party and have a great time. It’s not a competition, it’s a night out.
- Go to concerts and plays and other performances. If you are so moved, stand up and applaud, dance or sing along.
- Appear in public without apologising for your size.
So how is that to get you started? You’re welcome to add your own in the comments if you like.
Believe me, according to douchebags like the one I linked to above, all of these are “offensive” behaviours from fat people. Which makes them radical acts, though they seem simple on the surface.
I propose we get out there and just fat all over the place. Fat to the left, fat to the right, fat in the day, fat in the night.
Every one of us has as much right to exist in this world as anyone else. Let’s take it up.