Can you believe that it’s 2012 already? 2011 has flown by so quickly I can practically feel hear the sonic boom.
I thought I’d have a first post for the year which is a bit of a recap of all the adventures I’ve been on in 2011, and the hot topics I’ve talked about this past year. It’s been a big year for me, so how about we have a look at it month by month?
- Who in Brisbane could forget the floods of mid-January?
- Then there was Operation Baldy, when I shaved my long, hot pink hair off for charity.
- We talked about being a fat acceptance n00b, and about not being superwoman.
- We talked about food and some of the fucked up attitudes we have to eating, especially for women.
- We also got into the subject of fat people being lazy, and how there is a perception that fat people “just sit“.
- I was interviewed for the Triple J Hack programme.
- I made a public service announcement about health and bodies.
- I started doing some podcasts with Nicole and Anna – Super Fats!
- I wrote you a letter. Yes, YOU.
- We saw the story of the bullying that a young Australian man named Casey finally fought back against.
- We talked about how freedom of speech does not equal freedom from criticism.
- Most fun I had of the month – I interviewed a whole pile of fab fatties about clothing and fatshion in response to Leslie Cannold’s snark about fatshionistas!
- I started the month by asking some important questions of the thin white women of the media.
- We talked about how there is an assumption that fat people should simply not eat. Ever.
- #thingsfatpeoplearetold happened on Twitter, and I talked about the reactions of non-fat people.
- And I talked about the bullshit attitude of judgement of others for their appearance and how I deal with those snarky thoughts myself.
- I joined in Blogging Against Disablism Day
- We talked about “bad” foods and how impossible it is to maintain the eating habits a diet culture pushes on fat people.
- I wrote you another letter. Yes, I am talking about YOU!
- I was diagnosed with, and came out as having Type 2 Diabetes.
- We talked about stareable bodies and on not doing, just being.
- And I wrote an open letter to Rebecca Sparrow.
- July was a very reflective month for me, where I really looked at what I’m doing with my fat activism. For me, central to this is the right of self advocacy.
- I also hit on that old chestnut “But fatties are costing us taxpayer money!“
- We talked about the term “flattering” and how it applies to fat activism.
- And I let you know that your body is NOT Voldemort.
- I talked about why I don’t diet.
- Two guest posts – both from Rebecca’s! A fashion review from Bek, and a weight loss surgery story from Becky.
- I got ranty about the demonisation of diabetes.
- I started the Breaking Down Fat Stigma series with a post on Shame.
- And we talked about the supposed “threat” that fatshion poses.
- Another in the Breaking Down Fat Stigma series – Anger.
- We talked about how much time we’ve wasted on trying to lose weight and asked just how dieting is supposed to benefit our health.
- I declared that I am nobody’s freak show.
- We looked at the power of fat community.
- Identity was a hot topic, with another Breaking Down Fat Stigma post – Fat as Identity and one about my own definition of my identity.
- Steve Jobs died.
- I started my Inspirational Women series with Bri King and Not Blue at All.
- And I brazenly encouraged all of you to flaunt your fat.
- I interviewed Marilyn Wann as one of my Inspirational Women series.
- We looked at Miss Piggy and Plus Size Fashion (my most viewed post ever!)
- I wrote an open letter to medical professionals.
- Foxie did an awesome guest post about her experiences as a fat woman on public transport.
- We took on an experiment – in looking for the best in people and ourselves. (How did you go by the way?)
- I got very angry about the amount of shaming of women for what they wear, particularly leggings!
- We got talking about the gift of being able to tell our stories.
- And my favourite post of the month, I highlighted a whole lot of amazing tattooed, candy-haired women.
See? Seriously big year. I can’t believe I’ve packed so much into just one year. But it has been awesome every step of the way, even the difficult bits.
Let me take this opportunity to thank all of you, dear readers, for travelling along with me on this trip of a year, and I hope you’ll stick around as my travelling companions into the future.
May I wish you all a positively abundant new year, filled with joy and laughter and the occasional cookie.
Happy 2012 to you too Kath – may you, and all of us, continue to be fat and fabulous!
A glorious 2012 to you, Kath!
Too zonked from last nights’ party to think of anything clever to say.
Happy 2012 Kath!
One of the best things of last year was finding your blog, and getting to know you a bit on Twitter. Looking forward to many more of your awesome posts. 🙂 xx
Pleased to be following you in this New Year!
Wow, what a year! It’s been a delight following your blog through 2011. Looking forward to what will come. Happy 2012!
Thank you all and I am so looking forward to spending this year with you all online!